Monday, January 6, 2014

New Years 2014 - Run up Sanitas

So it seems as thought this might be turning into a tradition.  Last year at this time I was raising money for Team AllEars.  As part of that fundraiser I offered to make a lap up Mt Sanitas for every $25 that someone donated to me.  As part of Lap 7, Andrea joined me and she and I took a trip up the mountain on New Years Day.  You can see that blog post here.

This year once again if the weather held, I wanted to once again do this on New Years Day.  There is something invigorating about getting out into the wilderness after celebrating the turnover of the new year the night before.  Both Andrea and myself had gone to a friend house the night before and decided to partake in a few adult beverages.  Let's just say when I woke up on New Years Day I did not know what the day held for me.

On a last minute impulse, Andrea txted Michael and Carrie to see if they wanted to join us the next day.  I was so happy when they said that they weren't busy and were up for it. :)

Fog, which we rarely get in Boulder. 

The weather was actually really out.  As we rolled in from Broomfield (which had nice beautiful blue skies out), the cloud cover intensified.  As we started the hike/run we soon noticed that the top of the mountain was going to be covered in fog.  I have to admit, I sort of geeked out.  Fog is one of those weather types that we get so rarely in CO.  I LOVE fog...absolutely love it.  And rarely do I get to run in it.

Mike, Carrie and Andrea all celebrating the new year with me. 

We took our time on the way up and really enjoyed the scenery.  The fact that we can even hike something like Sanitas with almost no snow cover on January 1st is one of the reasons I really love Colorado (hint hint Julie).

Woohoo!  Love it up here.

Descending, we decided to go on the back trail, instead of the front.  The first part of the trail gets pretty steep and is in a sun shadow most of the day.  There was probably 200 yards or so that were pretty slick with ice making it a bit dangerous.  I think all of us were slipping and sliding a bit.

Fog coming back down. 

Normally we go back down the Sanitas Valley trail back to the parking lot.  Instead we took off on a small side trail called the Dakota Ridge Trail.  It's not long, maybe .7 of a mile, but it's my favorite type of trail running.  It is slightly downhill, a bit technical, but not too much and fast.  Some of the most fun running I've had in a very long time.

Carrie, Michael and Andrea descending.

All in all, it was a great way to spend the first day of the New Year with some of my very best friends.

Just a few notes, this weekend once again I'm running the WDW Marathon Weekend with Team AllEars. Not only am I doing the marathon, I'm also doing a 5k on Thursday, 10k on Friday, half marathon on Saturday before attempting the marathon on Sunday.   I've been running in the WDW Marathon Weekend for four years.  Each year I have been part of Team AllEars and we raise money for Avon Walk for Breast Cancer.  If you'd like to donate, you can find my page here - http://tinyurl.com/dopeyrunner88.

Also, if you haven't heard, my niece Shannon was recently diagnosed with stage 4 stomach and lung cancer.  She's only 30 years old.  The diagnosis was just two days after Christmas.  Anyway, I decided to dedication my marathon this year to her. Honestly, my 26.2 miles is nothing compared to the fight that she is having to endure right now.

Currently she's getting treatment at the CTCA in Tulsa, OK.  Her husband, family and friends are trying to raise money for her treatment.  Right now they are at about $22,500 of their $25,000 goal.  If you have a few extra dollars, I'm sure her family would appreciate it.

My niece Shannon and her husband Ryan

Shannon's Fundraising Page - https://www.giveforward.com/fundraiser/l5q3/shannon-donnelly-s-cancer-fund
Facebook Page - https://www.facebook.com/helpshannonfight

No comments:

Post a Comment